Random Gobbledegook

Ramblings on life, otakuness and other random stuff.

A day in Sydney!

Yesterday I left home at about 5:15am, to get to the airport and arrive in Sydney by 8:30am. It was (in one word) cold. I managed to make my way to the consulate pretty easily thanks to Google Maps, and got everything done, visa approved, and was off on my short day trip to explore Sydney! (Note: Pics are taken form my phone so they can be dodgy)

First up I walked into what I believe was the first David Jones store. It actually feels like a department store that I've been to when I've been overseas. With a "foodhall" as the basement, with some gourmet food to devour and purchase, to some high class brands such as Polo having a store inside the department store.

Inside the foodhall

The food halls have a variety of different stores and bars as you can see here. Bars usually have a wine glass and is usually a sign of upper-class status. I hope next time I ever come back here, I'd have enough money to actually try one of these places.

Aussie Apple Store

As I was wandering around, I stumbled across the talked about, Australia's first Apple shop. I do admit, it was a pretty nicely designed shop, and most people inside were just leeching off the free internet that the shop offered while you try the new macbooks, and iphones. Using the iPhone first hand here, made me realise that touch screen gadgets are still not practical enough to use in my opinion. They had some cool stairs too:


I decided to head towards Chinatown direction after that, for some "real" Chinese food, and found an asian foodcourt. Inside this place, it felt like one of the hawker places in Singapore, where there were a lot of small stalls, with pretty cheap food. I ended up getting Hainan Chicken Rice for $7.80! Pretty good deal, and was pretty tasty. =D

Afterwards I just helped mum get some asian bread from a bakery called "Bread Top", as they make really different bread from the bread you can get here. The joys of having a higher population.

Speaking of which, I almost felt that stepping into Sydney by myself this time around, I was in a different culture. There were more smokers, jay walkers, and everyone just seemed to be really busy people. Perhaps next time I ever come visit here again, I hope that I would have more time to visit a few different places outside the city worth checking out.

Highlights:
  • Fast interview process
  • Interesting city to wander around compared to Brisbane
  • Chinatown in Sydney is actually Chinatown, and feels like you're in an Asian country
  • $1.30 afternoon tea (see below)
$1 Apple Pie and 30c cone from Maccas at Sydney Domestic Airport (yay!)

0 comments:

    Recent Posts