Random Gobbledegook

Ramblings on life, otakuness and other random stuff.

First mecha game post!

Back in the times when I first had my PS2 came, when there was no such thing as "downloading demos to play" were the joys of demo discs that you get by purchasing the Official Playstation magazines. In doing so, I discovered this pretty looking, fast paced mecha series known as Zone of the Enders.

As time passed, I never got around to playing this series - ZoE1 and 2. Until recently, I started taking an interest in it again, and managed to grab a preowned copy of the first one. It was alright for its time I reckon, but had dodgy English translations as per usual. A tad short, but definitely sweet. I decided to try my luck hunting for the second title everywhere around here, with little or no luck. This was apparently a really rare title that only had limited numbers in PAL territory. But thanks to eBay, I managed to scrape a copy for a price cheaper than what EBGames was offering, with the listed stock in another town.

The cover of the very rare ZoE2

The inside cover of ZoE2

The version I have here is the special edition and includes:
  • new VR Training options
  • added scenarios
  • more difficulties
  • a music video featuring a remixed "Beyond the Bounds" theme
  • improved anti-aliasing and graphical optimizations
  • new Orbital Frames for Versus Mode, among other improvements to the game.
Details from Wikipedia

This game took a bit over 8 hours to complete. It might seem a tad short, but I guarantee you, there is huge replay value. Fueled by a really intriguing plot in the background, and combined with the variety of ways you can use techniques to defeat enemies, ZoE2 provides 8 hours of good solid fun. Each boss has a different method to destroy it, and can be challenging at times too.

I really liked the anime style animation and I'd have to prefer it over the CG animation used in the previous title. It's a brilliant breathtaking visual experience. Robots and "end of the world" plots just seem typical of a mecha anime.

If there was one annoying thing about the game (apart from length) is the dodgy camera that can sometimes get in the way of the action and makes completing some bits harder than they should be.

All in all, I like many have before me, have to recommend this title to all those who like piloting mechas/robots; those who like fast paced action titles as well; and people who enjoy watching an involving story presented in an anime style. For me, it's all of the above.

Here's to hope that ZoE3 will be out soon to add to my collection!

0 comments:

    Recent Posts